Jeff Rosenberg

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Overlooked gem: Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall

When thinking of the most popular songs by Simon & Garfunkel, a few titles come to mind -- "The Sounds of Silence", "Mrs. Robinson", "Bridge Over Troubled Water". One of their songs that is vastly underappreciated is "Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall". It is one of my favorite tunes by the duo.

The song opens with a jumpy guitar riff followed by Simon's vocals. Garfunkel joins him for the chorus at the end of each verse. The music was written by Paul Simon, as were the lyrics, which are poetry in and of themselves:

Through the corridors of sleep
Past shadows dark and deep
My mind dances and leaps in confusion

Where it can be heard: "Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall" is on the album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, which I own and frequently listen to in my car. As previously mentioned, the song is not very well known. I've never heard it played on the radio.