Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, March 08, 2009

U.S. defeats Switzerland in Davis Cup action

The first round of Davis Cup play took place this weekend, and our team hosted Switzerland. The matches were played in Birmingham, Alabama, with the singles occurring Friday & today and the doubles on Saturday. There had been a lot of hype over this matchup due to Roger Federer's plans to participate, but after he pulled out, much of the anticipation dwindled. I personally am not a huge Davis Cup fan, but I do take note of the results. On Friday, James Blake lost his match while Andy Roddick won his. The Bryan brothers then won their doubles match yesterday to give us a 2-1 lead, and today both Roddick and Blake won. I'm not sure how Davis Cup format works, so I don't know which team we'll be playing in the next round. That information is probably available on the internet, but I haven't looked for it yet. I'm much more interested in the Indian Wells tournament, starting at the end of this week. It will be a good test for Federer to see if he can rebound from his Australian Open loss.