Jeff Rosenberg

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Federer, Roddick advance in Paris

More action at the French Open today. Federer and Roddick both played and won. It was not a cakewalk for Federer, as he needed 4-sets to take down Jose Acasuso, 7-6(8), 5-7, 7-6(2), 6-2. I remain optimistic about his chances of making the final. Roddick beat Ivo Minar in straight sets, which is an excellent result for him. He rarely wins any matches at this tournament. I figured I might as well include a picture of him in this post since he might be gone the next round (ha ha)! Another top guy who played today was Novak Djokovic. He started his match against some guy named Sergiy Stakhovsky and won the first two sets before play was suspended. I think Djokovic is a solid clay-court player, and I expect him to do very well, at least until he runs into the brick wall known as Nadal. But they are in opposite halves of the draw, so Djokovic could likely end up meeting Federer in the semis. I would give Federer the edge in that one, but either way it will be fun to watch.