Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Federer downs Nalbandian in Basel

Roger Federer was in action again this week in Basel, Switzerland. Earlier today he defeated David Nalbandian 6-3, 6-4 for only his fourth title of the year. That's right, fourth. He won a clay-court tournament in Portugal, a grass-court tune-up in Germany, and then the US Open a couple of months ago. Definitely looks like an off year for Federer, but when considering that he made the finals at the French Open and Wimbledon and the semis at Australia, I'd say that's not too shabby. Andy Murray is continuing his stellar play, winning the St. Petersburg Open this week. In the final he beat a Russian named Andrey Golubev who is ranked 150th in the world. Not surprisingly, I'd never heard of the guy.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about the baseball game last night because I didn't get to see any of it. It was rain-delayed and did not get underway until after 10pm. It's a shame, because I've heard it was a great game with the Phillies winning 5-4 in the bottom of the ninth. I listened to the extended pre-game show on the radio while I was in bed, and more than one caller expressed disgust that baseball did not care enough about the fans to postpone the game. Not sure why anyone would think that MLB cares about the fans. I mean, two east coast teams are playing in the World Series, but the games start so late that none of the east coast fans can watch. I had to laugh at the response to the caller. Something along the lines of, "But what about FOX? They can't just postpone the game - they have other TV programs already scheduled for those nights! The game has to be played tonight no matter how late it starts!" Anyway, when all was said and done, the Phillies came away with a win and now lead the series 2-1. Game 4 will be tonight, and I look forward to watching about an inning of it before I have to go to bed.