Jeff Rosenberg

Monday, June 01, 2009

Nadal upset

The 4-time defending French Open champ will not win his 5th in a row this year. In a monumental upset, Rafa Nadal was defeated by Robin Soderling yesterday, 6-2, 6-7(2), 6-4, 7-6(2). I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. I didn't think Nadal was invincible, but I thought he would lose to a top player if anyone at all. But even the pros have an off day occasionally. Now the field has really opened up. It is Federer's tournament to lose at this point. All of the pressure will be on him. He will likely never again see such a great opportunity to win the one major that's eluded him. Roddick is out, but del Potro and Murray are still alive. I like del Potro and would not be surprised to see him give Federer a fight in the semis. Gael Monfils has also been impressive and will take on Federer in the next round. It will still be an interesting week, Nadal's departure notwithstanding.