Jeff Rosenberg

Monday, November 07, 2005

Berdych wins title in Paris

The final ATP Masters Series tennis tournament of the year was played last week in Paris, France. Neither Roger Federer nor Rafael Nadal was in the draw, so I had hoped that Andy Roddick could win the title. As the top seed, he did relatively well, but he lost in the semis to the big Croat Ivan Ljubicic. In the final match, played yesterday, Ljubicic lost a 5-setter to Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic. I remember watching Berdych play Andre Agassi at the US Open this year, and he definitely has some talent. I admit, though, I didn't expect him to win yesterday.

The tennis season for this calendar year is now almost over. All that remains is the Tennis Masters Cup, to be played this weekend in Shanghai, China. Ljubicic grabbed the last spot in the tournament with his performance last week. I expect Federer to win the title again this year.