Jeff Rosenberg

Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Traveling Wilburys

Earlier today while listening to the radio, I heard a song whose name I didn't know, but I was pretty sure the group was the Traveling Wilburys. After some checking on the internet, I discovered that the song I'd heard was called "End of the Line". I also found some info on the Traveling Wilburys which I hadn't known before.

The Traveling Wilburys were a musical group comprised of George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, and Bob Dylan. Harrison, of course, was formerly a member of the Beatles, and Lynne was a founding member of the Electric Light Orchestra, a.k.a. ELO. The group was initially formed to record a B-side to one of Harrison's singles. They enjoyed the experience so much that they decided to record an entire album together. They accomplished this (both writing and recording songs) in just 10 days, and the album was released in October 1988, titled Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1. Sadly, Roy Orbison died in December of that year. The remaining four created one more album, titled Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3, symbolically skipping Volume 2 in honor of Orbison.

Music from the Traveling Wilburys can still be heard occasionally on classic rock stations.