Jeff Rosenberg

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Too much heat for Bix

On Saturday I was out in Iowa to run the Quad City Times Bix 7. I had initially set a goal of under 50 minutes, but I quickly realized that was not going to happen because of the intense heat. The temperature was 80 degrees at start time with high humidity. I started off at a very easy pace and felt good for the first half of the race. But the heat took its toll, and by mile 4 I was almost completely drained. I hit the 4 mile mark right around 30 minutes, which is still pretty good. But I had to walk to get some water in me, and I started up again at a much slower pace. I finished with a time of 56:08, a lot slower than I would have liked, but I can't be too disappointed. My body is very inefficient in dealing with heat. Maybe it will be cooler for next year's race. I hope.