Jeff Rosenberg

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Tornado hits Iowa City

When I was reading the news yesterday, I saw that Iowa had gotten hit with some tornadoes, but it didn't really make an impression on me because that's not a rare occurrence. Then my friend Shea sent me an email telling me about all the buildings that were destroyed, and I finally took notice. There are lots of good photo galleries at the Press Citizen and at the University's website. The downtown area is a mess with roofs ripped of buildings and upside-down cars in the streets. Kind of makes me glad I don't live there anymore.

My running is going well enough that I decided to try a road race, so I signed up for the Revolutionary Run 5-miler, to be held next Sunday in Valley Forge. I haven't run a race since the JFK in November, and not a 5-miler since last June, so I'm not sure what to expect. I think I'll do pretty well.

The Cubs beat the Pirates last night to boost their record to 6-3. I listened to the Phillies game while I was in bed, and they ended up beating the Rockies in Colorado (long after I fell asleep). It was a high scoring affair, which was no surprise considering the venue. I just found out today that Andy Roddick lost yet another match, this time to Tommy Haas. Ordinarily I'd shake my head in disgust, but I'll give the guy a break since I don't expect him to do anything on clay. If he can't start to win matches once grass court season gets here, then I'll know he's really heading downhill.

I am posting this from my grandparents' place in Baltimore, but I expect to be back in Philly tomorrow evening. No big plans for Easter other than a trip to church. And an oil change and tire rotation for my car.