Jeff Rosenberg

Friday, December 12, 2008

A favorite running loop, part III

On Wednesday evening I was looking to put in about 5 miles of running, so I went with a favorite loop of mine that's about 5.1 miles. The bulk of this run is in residential areas, which is why I like it so much. Not a lot of traffic. I start out by heading into the neighborhood right behind my apartment complex and taking that out to Street Rd. At that point I encounter a light, which usually makes me stop for a minute or so, but then I'm on my way. On the other side, I'm back in residential territory. I turn at Virginia Ave and run parallel to Street Rd for as long as I can before turning right on Bowman Ave. I take that to the end and loop back on the parallel Ogden Ave (which always makes me think of Ogden Nash... I wonder why?). Heading home, I retrace my footsteps along Virginia Ave, recross Street Rd, and come home the short way by staying on Brookwood to Hulmeville. This adds a little variety. I also run this loop backwards quite often, usually when I've just recently run it forwards. It's a good loop for this time of the year, because the dark does not present any particular problems. There are lights along the residential streets, and it's very easy to see and hear approaching cars. I'm sure I'll traverse this course quite a few more times before spring.