Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Murray wins Montreal title

Since I was down in Baltimore this weekend visiting my grandma, I was able to watch some of the Montreal tennis tournament, which was televised on ESPN2. Surprisingly, both Federer and Nadal exited before the semis. Juan Martin del Potro beat Nadal, and Jo Wilfried Tsonga stunned Federer by coming back from a 5-1 deficit in the third set. Del Potro faced Roddick in the semis, and I saw almost all of the match. Roddick played well in the first set but completely fell apart in the second. He was stuggling just to win points on his serve. His game improved in the final set, but in a crucial game at 5-5, del Potro broke him and then held his own serve to win the match. Murray defeated Tsonga in the other semi, and the final was played this afternoon. I watched the first set before hitting the road and was impressed by del Potro. He looked tired but still held his serve and won the first-set tiebreak. I left after that and later found out that Murray won sets 2 and 3 to take the title.