Jeff Rosenberg

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ritz sets new 5,000 AR

I have to admit I was only vaguely aware that there was a big track meet going on in Zurich yesterday. I'd read a little bit about it and knew that Bekele would run in the 5,000, but that was about it. I didn't pay attention to which Americans were competing. Until I read a thread over at LetsRun which chronicled the men's 5,000. Apparently it started off at a blistering pace, and it was all Ritz could do to hang at the very pack. But the pace took its toll on everyone, including Bekele, and Ritz started reeling guys in. He was up in 2nd place on the final lap before dropping a spot, but he finished in a time of 12:56.27, almost two full seconds under Bob Kennedy's American record. I was stunned that Ritz was capable of something like this, even though he was impressive in the World Champs 10,000 last week. Breaking 13 is an entirely new ball game. I'm excited about what this means for American distance running and for guys like Teg and Solinsky who are right up there as well. Dathan Ritzenhein -- the new American record holder in the 5,000. Wow.