Jeff Rosenberg

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Bowl victory for Penn State

New Year's Day is always a big day for college football, and yesterday was no exception. Penn State took on LSU in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, and I got to see most of the action on TV. The weather was miserable with lots of rain, and the field was in awful shape. It definitely affected the game, as it was difficult to get any traction and thus many of players fell down while trying to change direction quickly. The game itself was very close and very competitive. Penn State ended up winning by a score of 19-17, on a 4th-quarter field goal. Their defense then prevented LSU from marching back down the field. The other bowl game I watched was Ohio State vs. Oregon in the Rose Bowl. I typically do not root for Ohio State, but I always like seeing the Big Ten do well in bowl games, so I was happy to see them win 26-17. All season long I read sportswriters claim that the Big Ten is inferior to conferences like the SEC and Pac-10, so this feels like vindication to me. Now all I need is for Iowa to win their game on Tuesday.