Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Rogers Masters

Back before Wimbledon I made the claim that Rafa Nadal, while an extremely talented player, lacked the consistency to be declared an equal to Roger Federer. After this week's Rogers Masters in Toronto, it looks like I won't have to eat my words. I think Nadal is is a great tennis player. I would even go so far as to say that, on clay, he's right up there with Borg. All of which goes to show how highly I think of Federer. Sure, he's never won the French Open, but he is undoubtedly the second best player in the world on clay. And on every single other surface, he's number one. By a huge margin. The guy hasn't lost a match this year to anyone other than Nadal. And he beat Nadal at the Wimbledon final, proving that Nadal's previous domination of him had more to do with surface than overall ability. Today the Fed goes for another title in Toronto. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the match because it's on ESPN2, but I fully expect Federer to win.