Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Haile breaks marathon WR!

At the Berlin marathon this morning, Haile Gebrselassie lowered his own world record to a phenomenal 2:03:59. I don't even know what time the race was, but I read the news online this morning. What a run! I'll be interested in seeing what his splits were. In spite of this new WR, it's hard for me to consider Haile the world's best marathoner. Sure, he has the fastest time, but I have yet to see him win a competitive marathon or even a world championship marathon. I think he's run London a couple of times with no success. He is definitely capable of running a blazing time trial, but I'd really like to see him win against guys like Lel and Wanjiru and Cheruiyot before calling him the best. Of course, Haile's getting old now, so he probably picks his races very carefully. He backed out of the Olympic marathon in Beijing, citing the polluted air as the reason. I'm not entirely sure he could have won that race.

Andy Roddick won the China Open earlier today, defeating an Israeli named Dudi Sela. I had never heard of the guy before, but after looking him up, I see he's currently ranked 92nd in the world. The final score of the match was 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-3, so Sela was able to take a set off Roddick. In other tennis action, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga beat Novak Djokovic 7-6(4), 6-4 to win the Thailand Open. This was a rematch of the Australian Open final back in January, and I have to admit I'm very surprised Tsonga won. No doubt he's a good player, but he's not on the same level as Djokovic. At least not yet. Anyway, this upcoming week is the Japan Open in Tokyo, and it looks like Roddick is entered in that, so we'll see if he can win back-to-back tournaments.