Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Tsonga wins in Paris

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga defeated David Nalbandian to win the BNP Paribas Masters event this morning. I certainly did not expect those two to be playing in the final and was amazed that all 4 quarterfinals were upsets. Nadal lost to Davydenko, retiring after dropping the first set. Federer pulled out of his match against James Blake, citing some kind of injury. Andy Roddick lost a close three-setter to Tsonga, and Andy Murray was ousted by Nalbandian. What a strange tournament. This was the last of the Masters Series events for the year, and the only remaining tournament left is the Masters Cup in Shanghai. Traditionally, there are only 8 players in that one, but I have yet to see the list of who's in. Surely Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic are locks. Now it looks like Tsonga is in. Also maybe Murray and Roddick? I'm not sure. I guess I'll find out soon enough. The tournament gets underway in about a week.