Jeff Rosenberg

Monday, March 23, 2009

Nadal takes Indian Wells title

Yesterday's final between Rafa Nadal and Andy Murray was a little bit of a let down for me in that it was so lopsided. I was unable to watch the match, but I did follow it on the internet, and Murray simply could not get anything going. Nadal blew him out of the water, 6-1, 6-2. Articles I've read about the match have stated that there was a lot of wind, and dirt and sand were swirling around in the stadium, but, to Murray's credit, he didn't use that as an excuse for losing. It was still a good tournament for the Scot, who defeated Roger Federer in the semis. Federer is not looking like the player he used to be, and I have to admit I never expected his opponents to catch him this quickly. I realize that Nadal is a great player, but even he has a tough time with Federer at majors. Both of their contests at the Australian Open and Wimbledon went to 5 sets. So, all of this makes the upcoming Miami tournament more interesting. Can Nadal go back-to-back, or will Federer be the one to come out on top?