Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Agassi's last match

I got to watch Agassi's last match at the US Open this afternoon. The fans gave him a terrific farewell, and the poor guy got a little emotional. After watching him, though, I have to say I'm very happy he's retiring. I can't remember the last time I watched an Agassi match where he wasn't limping or staggering in obvious pain. As much as I enjoy watching him play, it's no fun when he's hurt too much to be at the top of his game. It was a great way for him to end his career. As for the rest of the US Open, there haven't been any huge upsets. I actually thought Agassi beating Baghdatis was an upset, but it wasn't really huge. The two big dogs, Federer and Nadal, are still alive and well. And Andy Roddick came through a 5 setter against Fernando Verdasco a little earlier today, so I hope he continues his stellar performance in the next few rounds.

I noticed that college football got underway over the weekend. Very big deal! Games on almost every channel on Saturday. But I did not see coverage of the Iowa-Montana game. Not that I would have watched it, but the Hawkeyes did eke out a win by about 35 points. NFL starts next week. I can hardly contain my excitement! (and that's only partially sarcastic)

The Phillies played back to back doubleheaders yesterday and today against Atlanta. The Saturday twin bill was due to a rainout earlier in the season (the one game I was actually going to attend), and I guess one of today's games was a makeup from the Friday rainout. Whatever the case, I listened to the Phils a little bit on my way home from Baltimore, and apparently they had a very exciting win in the first game. And Ryan Howard hit 3 taters. The guy now has 51 homers on the year. 51! On September 3rd. There was a time when this would have been a very big deal, but now that the single season home run record is 73, it's obviously not. Still, Ryan Howard is having one incredible season.