Jeff Rosenberg

Saturday, November 08, 2008

A favorite running loop, part II

This morning I went out for a long run (9.8 miles) and got to do another one of my favorite loops. I don't run this one very often, mainly because I rarely want to go that far, and also because of traffic. The first 6 miles of the loop are without sidewalks. Newportville Road is kind of a pain because there is no shoulder at all. I always have to be cautious when dealing with oncoming cars. On the plus side, that part of the run is very scenic. The road runs right beside Neshaminy Creek, and at this point in the year all the trees are displaying multi-colored leaves. I cross the creek at New Falls Road and then turn right on Bensalem Blvd, which is another road with no shoulder. Once I cross Hulmeville Road, the sidewalks finally appear, but that short stretch is the only part of the loop that's pedestrian friendly. Galloway Road consists of some rolling hills which makes it especially difficult to anticipate oncoming traffic. Needless to say, I never run this loop during the week, unless it's a holiday. I try to go as early in the morning as possible, although this morning I didn't leave until 9:15am, and it wasn't too bad.

There is another, shorter version of this loop that I've run many times when I don't want to go the full ~10 miles. After crossing Neshaminy Creek, I turn left on Bensalem Blvd, take that down to Byberry Road, and return home that way. I believe that shortens the loop to 7.4 miles. Either way, it's a great weekend loop and gives me a change of scenery from the usual routes I run during the week.