Jeff Rosenberg

Monday, January 26, 2009

Murray ousted

Looks like I was off on my prediction of Andy Murray making it to the finals. The #4 seed lost a 5-set match to Fernando Verdasco earlier today. Remarkably, Murray is the only seed in the top 8 who is not still alive. I've never before seen a Grand Slam where 7 of the top 8 seeds all make the quarterfinals. Amazing. Nadal continued to steamroll his competition, downing Fernando Gonzalez in straight sets. Next up for him is Gilles Simon, and if he wins that, he faces a potential showdown with Tsonga. I can't wait to see that. Last year when Tsonga beat Nadal in the semis here, it was a mammoth upset and hardly anyone had even heard of Tsonga. I know I hadn't. Now he's made a name for himself and is a solid top-10 player. I'm also looking forward to the Roddick-Djokovic match, which should be a good one.