Jeff Rosenberg

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Australian Open starts tomorrow

The first Grand Slam of the year gets underway tomorrow in Melbourne, and the men's side is going to be quite a tournament. There's a group of players at the top who have a shot at winning, as opposed to previous years where a single player (Federer) is heavily favored. My prediction is that the top 4 seeds will all make the semis. I think Murray will defeat Nadal, and Federer will defeat Djokovic. Look for Federer to win his 14th major. I also expect a good quarterfinal clash between Djokovic and Andy Roddick. At this point, I don't think Roddick is capable of winning that match, but he has an outside chance. Overall, this will be some exciting tennis. I don't think I'll get to watch any of it since it'll be on cable (not to mention most of the action will take place while I'm sleeping), but I plan to follow the results online.