Jeff Rosenberg

Monday, February 02, 2009

Nadal wins his first Australian Open

The first thing I did after waking up yesterday morning was get on the internet and check out the live scoreboard of the Australian Open final. The match was in the second set, with Nadal having won the first one. The official website actually had a live broadcast, so I was able to listen to that for the rest of the match. It was some great tennis, at least for the first four sets. The final one was kind of lopsided, as Federer fell apart, ultimately costing him the title. Final score: 7-5, 3-6, 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-2. Apparently it was the first 5-set final in 21 years. I admit that I'm surprised Federer lost. He has always been such a great player under pressure, especially in Slam finals. There is something about Nadal that gives him problems mentally. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. The next big tournament is Indian Wells in March, and I assume all the big names will be there.

In other news, there was kind of a big football game last night. I was on my way home from my brother's place when it started, so I heard some of the first quarter on the radio. I watched the second quarter on TV when I was home, and then I saw Bruce Springsteen's halftime show. That was about it. I had the game on the radio when I was in bed, but I fell asleep before hearing anything decisive. Turns out it was an exciting game. I still don't think it would have been worth missing sleep, though.