Jeff Rosenberg

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rupp gets indoor 5k AR

Even though I'm a big track fan, I have to admit I don't follow the indoor season very closely and am not familiar with what good indoor times would be. I did not even know what the 5k American record was -- until today. Galen Rupp ran a 13:18.12 at the Tyson Invite in Arkansas to break Doug Padilla's 27-year-old mark of 13:20. Rupp took second place in the race (behind Bekana Daba, who is obviously not an American), finishing just ahead of Liberty's Sam Chelanga. I've always known that Rupp is one of the country's top runner's, but this effort still impresses me. 13:18 is a time that few Americans can run even outdoors. I can't think of a whole lot of people who have done it. Kennedy, Lagat, Tegenkamp, Goucher, and Webb. Also Ryan Hall and Ian Dobson, I believe. So Rupp is in select company. I tend to think of him as more of a 10k guy, though, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of times he runs outdoors this spring.